Our Nyala Rubies
Our Nyala Rubies are sourced from Columbia Gemhouse (CGH) an active pioneer in the fair trade gem market. Columbia works with complete mine to market custody and enhancement disclosures for the Nyala Ruby.
Columbia Gem House, Inc. has exclusive agreements with many mines around the world, including the mine in Southern Malawi that produces the Nyala Ruby.
Unlike many commercially mined rubies, the Nyala Ruby is natural and untreated which means it has not been artificially heated or irradiated. What you get is the color of stone right as it came from the mine. each piece is unique unto itself.
At the Mine
- Streams zones around the mine and the village are protected and all water sources are safeguarded.
- Impact from mine areas is minimized and fully reclaimed.
- Fair compensation is paid to miners above the minimum wage.
- There are bonuses and promotion.
- There is also health insurance.
|At the Polishing Factory|
- Stones are cut in China where Columbia Gem House helped establish a new gem cutting factory in Shenzen, to cut and polish rough gemstones. They developed their own cutting facility to meet specific customer demand and to raise the level of cutting standards to the highest in the industry. This factory Pays three times the standard wages.
- Workers are given free room and board and a food allowance.
- Workers are given paid vacation.
- There is overtime pay.
- There is disability and unemployment insurance available.
- Workers receive an annual bonus.
- In addition, CGH has built a school that has an enrollment of 450 at the location of one of their mines.